The Official Blog Of The Glam Slam Big Haired Bad Boys Out Of Omaha, NE, 3D In Your Face

Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Rome Wasn't Built In 3 Days But AC/DC Made A Hell of A Career Out of 3 Chords.

Hello everybody and welcome to HAIR IN THE AIR, The Official Blog of 3D In Your Face.  The weeks are winding down and we are almost to the end of our residency at The 21st Saloon and the beginning of the summer.  I know I wrote about that a few blogs back but I want everyone to know that it's now or never, if you want to catch this show at our home bar.  We will be bidding the bar that has brought us all together as the 3D In Your Face Army a found farewell in just two short weeks.  Of course we will be back but trust me it's not the same when you can't rely on those good old Friday night Rock N Roll parties.  This Friday, May 15th at The 21st Saloon we are throwing a very special present your way.  Our good friends, and my favorite Omaha band, Polka Police will be opening the show with their style of Polka infused mania.  It's our history and our heritage and they mix in just enough Rock N Roll to make it a show stopper.  Also the boys from Pink Shugar will be sponsoring the show and they will be selling their world famous cotton candy along with some other great treats.  Bang for the buck.  Saturday, May 16th we will be making a special appearance at The Omaha Rollergirls' bout at The Mid-America Center in Council Bluffs.  Come and say hi and support these amazing women.  Don't forget HAIR IN THE AIR Radio Saturday night from 10pm-12am on 101.9 The Keg.  It's going to be a good one.

As I sit here typing I am putting off something that I missed last night.  So I guess I am going to have to stay up a little later and fit this into the schedule.  I haven't told many people this but recently I started teaching lessons.  Not much just intro to guitar and bass.  I have taught lessons in the past but this time I am thrilled to be teaching some amazing students that seem to have that vision and drive to practice and learn.  Most importantly I have realized that I love playing music.  I love teaching music.  I love everything about it.  When I was a young budding guitar player my parents took me to guitar lessons in Fremont, NE.  I hate it.  I hated the music, I hated the practice, and I never felt like I was learning anything.  Little did I know that my teacher was an amazing blues guitarist and was teaching me the fundamentals to everything I would use for the next ten years of my life.  I wanted to play KISS and I wanted to play loud.  I wanted to be the kid in school leaning against his locker strumming some chords looking so cool in front of the girls.  HAHA.  Where is that kid now?

Teaching lessons is a whole different beast.  You need to be patient and encouraging but meticulous and precise.  "Do it again".  "One more time".  Same thing I hear in the practice room at 3D Studios.  It wasn't until much later down the line that I realized that I actually needed to play my guitar as much as I could.  That's the only way you get better.  In the beginning you are just waiting for that moment, that light switch, that changes everything.  I remember it well.  When everything comes together and you express what you are feeling with music.  That's exactly what it's all about.  I was never one for learning music theory that was the farthest thing from Rock N Roll.  Lately though I have really been enjoying going back to the basics and relearning all the steps.  Booze and drugs where the farthest thing from my mind when I picked up the guitar for the first time.  It's come back around and I am enjoying show others the path that I went down.  It's about discovering and pushing yourself.  How far do you want to take it?  Rome wasn't built in 3 days but AC/DC made a hell of a career out of 3 chords.

ALWAYS LOUD
FOREVER PROUD

SAM SPADE

No comments:

Post a Comment