The Official Blog Of The Glam Slam Big Haired Bad Boys Out Of Omaha, NE, 3D In Your Face

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Limos, Back Lounges, and Conga Lines.

Hello everybody and welcome to HAIR IN THE AIR, The Official Blog of 3D In Your Face.  Well it has finally come down to this.  Memorial Day is right around the corner, May is wrapping up, and so is our residency at The 21st Saloon.  This Friday, May 22nd we play our final show of this residency that began back in Sept. 2014.  That's nearly every Friday except when we had to leave for Kearney and Dax's vacation, but still I am very proud of this.  The crowds have been getting bigger and better.  The shows have become something that I look forward to every week.  My favorite part, and I will say this 1,000 times is when the curtain drops and I get the chance to look in the audience and see all of those smiling faces.  Kills me every time.  To add to the holiday weekend festivities we are excited to be doing a special Memorial Day Rock N Roll party at American Dream on Saturday, May 23rd.  This will be a free show and word has just come down that there will be a free BBQ going on at 5:30 PM.  It just keeps getting better.  Also don't miss HAIR IN THE AIR, on Saturday from 10 PM - 12 AM on 101.9 The Keg.  I know it's only Wednesday but I think I'm ready for the holiday weekend to start.

Tonight the boys and I will be braving the rain to catch Judas Priest and Saxon at The Stir Cove.  I will proudly  be representing my radio station 101.9 The Keg as the Metal Gods rip Council Bluffs apart.  See you down there.

I've done many blogs on Memorial Day and the remembrance of our fallen war heroes.  This year I wanted to switch things up and lay a few stories of my own on you.  No I ask that you take these stories with a grain of salt because most of these come from back in my drinking days and the memories tend to get a little fuzzy.  For Memorial Day was always one of the biggest concert weekends of the year.  It meant that we finally got outside and that we were closer to the summer run of shows.  It all kicked off with the infamous annual Fish Heads Bash at The Old Anchor Inn.  Now I realize I probably wasn't around for all the really good shows there but I did catch the tail end.  Let me set the scene for you.  The Fish Heads, an Omaha Island Party Band, hosted an all day multi-band event on the Sunday of Memorial Day Weekend.  No one had to work the next day so the entire city was off.  The Anchor Inn had a massive stage and concert space.  Imagine 10,000 highly intoxicated people descended upon this oasis for no other reason than to have fun in the sun.  No rules, no limits, no problem.  I was just a wide eyed college boy at the time and witnessed all these bands coming together to have fun and kick off their summer tours.  It was a club, and being associated with 3D In Your Face, I was invited to hang with the cool kids.


I can't really remember the years exactly but the things I do remember are waking up in our tour bus and walking to the stage at 10 AM.  Load in was early before all the people arrive.  It was hot but The Fish Heads were already passing around a bottle of tequila and the faint smell of marijuana lingered on the stage.  Sounds like every Rock N Roll load in every right?  By the time the show was up and running the techs were all pissed because the openers were being dicks but I was just awestruck by the girls walking around in bikinis and the sheer amount of boats floating up and down the river.  As day turned into night the sea of people just kept getting bigger.  By the time we played or The Fish Heads closed the night it was a blur of faces watermelons (the famous citrus drink) and hairspray.  My friends back home never believe that this kind of party existed so I even brought them along one year to witness Sodom and Gomorrah.  I remember seeing Hot Rod passed out on a parking block behind the bus, I vomited off of a camper, we stole more booze than we could possibly drink, I saw our bass tech do vile things to a very special girl, there were limos, back lounges, conga lines, and this is all just what I can remember off hand.  After The Anchor Inn flooded they tried to recreate the magic but the ship had sailed.  It was one of those special days that always holds a place in my heart.  Thank you to The Fish Heads, I always looked up to you guys.  You did so much to help me career and I don't even think you realize it.  Thanks to my band and most importantly the amazing team of techs.  We were the best around.

No comments:

Post a Comment