The Official Blog Of The Glam Slam Big Haired Bad Boys Out Of Omaha, NE, 3D In Your Face

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

From DJ's To Drag Queens And Back.

Hello and welcome back all you wild and crazy 80's-metal-loving party animals   This is HAIR IN THE AIR, The Official blog of 3D In Your Face.  WOW have things been getting busy or is just me.  It seems the closer we get to the summer tour and the end of our residency at The 21st Saloon the more work I need to put in to stay caught up.  I'm not saying this is a bad thing in any way, because trust me we have the best jobs in the world.  I'm just saying where does the time go?  A huge thank you goes out to all of you wonderful people that came out to the 21st Saloon last week.  What an awesome display of true Rock N Roll pandemonium.  We had fights in the parking lot, traveling fans from all over the mid-west, birthday parties, going-away parties, raffles, giveaways (congrats Jeanine), a bunch of old and a few new fans, amazing sponsors, beyond drunks, beyond sobers, and everything in between.  That list seems like a normal night at a 3D In Your Face show.  Well let me tell you from experience last Friday was not a normal night.  There was something in the air and you guys were hell bent on bringing the pain.  I must digress, our show this Friday, May 17th will be our second to last show at The 21st Saloon before we leave for the summer.  I have been fighting off this sad feeling of leaving our home and spreading our wings.   I will say this again and stand by my words.  We need to make these last two Friday nights something special.  These aren't rock n roll shows, these aren't events, these last two Friday nights are going to be celebrations.  We will be celebrating all things Omaha, all things Rock N Roll, and most of all all things fun.  If you are reading this please go out and tell everyone you know that they need to get their asses to The 21st Saloon this Friday.

A lot has been happening to me this week and I feel I should let you in on some information, after all we are all family here.  Starting on June 8th I will be hosting my own radio show on our new sponsor station The Big O 101.9.  Guess what?  The name of my new radio show is going to be, HAIR IN THE AIR.  That's not confusing, right?  Every Saturday night starting on June 8th I will be running an all 80's Rock N Roll power blockade from 8 to 10 pm on The Big O.  My goal is to take you on a journey to a magical place where music was loud and hairy and the guys wore more makeup then the girls.  I am going to play the classic hits that you remember and grew up with.  Also I am going to play some of the deep cuts, the b-sides, the forgotten bands from the decade of decadence.  Most of all I want to play the songs that you want to hear.  I want to play the songs that make you happy.  I want to play the songs that represent Rock N Roll.  In a region full of non-believers I am going to be your voice.  Trust me I am not taking this job lightly.  No, No.

Back in the day when I was a fresh and spry 18 year old about to graduate from Fremont Senior High school I was confronted with a problem.  This problem befell most teens my age.  What do you do after high school?  By that time, I already knew what I wanted in life but they don't really make a college course in Rock Star training at The University of Nebraska.  I didn't really want to go to school but I knew that I needed to do something.  I had to get out of town and go experience things on my own.  Also, my parents told me that I must go to school and after I graduated I could do whatever I wanted.  As long as I had something to fall back on.  So I mad the decision to go to The University of Nebraska and major in Broadcasting.  Here was my philosophy; as a radio DJ you got free records,  you got paid to listen to music, and you got paid to talk on the air.  COUNT IT.  Suddenly that political science degree sounds ridiculous doesn't it?  I joined a long running specialty show on our college radio station called Heresy.  Heavy metal was the name of the game.  Every week you would open up the station mail box and it would be stuffed with new CDs, posters, and press sheets on every band that was trying to get radio play.  You would then go through each record and pick the songs and artists you liked and play their tunes.  I loved the job.  As I took over as the host of Heresy I turned the show in a different direction, I kept the heavy metal music but I also started doing bits and routines to get some laughs.  I soon hired on my buddy Duff as the co-host and I believe we had one of the funniest shows on the radio Tuesday nights from 9 to 12.  There was fan mail from prisoners in the Lincoln Pen , we had a website, and we would even get recognized on the street.  Heresy didn't pay a dime but to us it was worth every minute we were in that studio.  Heresy changed me.  After I graduated college I never really got the chance to explore radio like I wanted to.  My heart was still in playing live kick ass rock n roll.  So I put it on the back burner until Ken Kohls came along from The Big O 101.9.  It was just one of those days.   And like that I am back into the world of broadcasting and I couldn't be happier.  The funny thing is I sent an email to KZUM a few months ago asking if they would be interested in doing this same show and they never even responded back. It shows you that you never know whats just around the corner.  To all you 3D In Your Face fans out there, this is just the beginning.  Hold on for the ride of your life.

On Friday May 17th we will be teaming up with one of our oldest and most trusted sponsors Gloss Salon and Day Spa for our "I Want You To Want Me" Show.  The beautiful and talented women at Gloss Hair Salon are responsible for the in's and out's of our hair every week.  I truly feel without Gloss Salon supporting us 3D In Your Face would not be in the position that we are today.  These girls have done things with our hair that you only see in the movies.  Melissa, Krisha, Beth, and the rest of their hair artist are not only the best in Omaha but they are the best in the country.  To make this show even more special they will be selling their new line of colored hair extensions and 3D In Your Face will be modeling the new line during the show.  To put a cherry on top, our brand new sponsor The Big O 101.9 will be on hand and they will be giving away three pairs of tickets to see Cheap Trick at The Stir Concert Cove.  That is 6 tickets to see the band that wrote the songs "Surrender", "Dream Police", "I Want You To Want Me".  They are Rock N Roll icons and all you have to do is be present in order to win.  Sign your name up at our merchandise booth and sit back and enjoy the show.  You could be going to see the legends of Rock N Roll, Cheap Trick courtesy of 3D In Your Face.  What a great way to start this summer off.  See you Friday, May 17th at The 21st Saloon.



ALWAYS LOUD
FOREVER PROUD

HAIR IN THE AIR

SPADE

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new 101.9 gig. I'll be seeing you guys again this Friday. 3 times in a month! You all put me in a good mood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much. Can't wait until Friday.

    ReplyDelete