The Official Blog Of The Glam Slam Big Haired Bad Boys Out Of Omaha, NE, 3D In Your Face

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

"Say Hello To My Little Friend". Happy Birthday Mike Cloyd.

HEAVY METAL JUNKIES HELLO!!  Welcome to HAIR IN THE AIR, The Official Blog of 3D In Your Face.  I have a very special blog for you this week.  Enough with the hoopla, I am going to get straight to the point.  The newest addition to the 3D In Your Face family is celebrating a birthday this week.  One of the major players on the side of the stage that never gets the thanks they deserve.  One of the people that are responsible for the amazing show put together week in and week out.  A great friend and one hell of a lighting tech and pyro tech.  A man of few words but when he does speak it usually lands me on the floor laughing my ass off.  Ladies and gentleman please help me wish our lighting guy and all around good buddy Mike Cloyd a very happy birthday.  

As much as Mike will probably hate this blog, this has to be said.  I first met Mike a few years ago when he was running lights for Sniper's other band Pranxter.  Little did I realize this would turn into an awesome friendship that would last for a long time.  A few months down the line 3D In Your Face started doing shows again and we needed someone who knew what they were doing to take our show into hyper drive.  Mike came in with a truck load of explosives and a great attitude.  He was excited which in turn made us excited.  Before the show started Mike wired up everything into the truss and gave us a little warning, I believe we were playing The Chrome that night.  Not only is he a great light man he is also a licensed pyro technician with Nightvision Fireworks.  Right before we took the stage he told us there would be some big booms and to stand at the front of the stage during the fire songs.  I thought to myself "Yeah yeah I've heard a few booms and felt a little fire on my back".  As we hit the sweet spot on the first song "WHABOOOM".  The blast was so loud that shook all the dust off of the ceiling at The Chrome.  At that moment  I was impressed.  This moment started my love affair with explosions at 3D In Your Face shows.  The other great story about this night started when we kicked into Hot For Teacher.  As you know The Playboy starts the song and Sniper comes in with some face melting.  I told Mike to not blast the fire cannon until after I jumped over it.  My cue came and I ran and launched out onto the stage.  At the exact moment I jump I passed through the flame tower.  My brush with fire.  I didn't get burned but the entire club filled up with the pungent stench of burning hair.  THANKS BUDDY.  LOVE YOU.

Mike Cloyd has been our lighting techician full time for about 6 months now.  If you have ever seen a show at The 21st Saloon you will agree with me that he is one of the most talented technicians in his field.  Every song, every beat, every night.  I want to personally thank you Mike, for everything you have done and for standing behind this band (lighting us perfectly).   If you get a chance hang back and just look at the light show that is going on during our shows.  You will get a new appreciation for what this man does week in and week out.  Also if you get a chance this Friday at The 21st Saloon go back to Front of House and wish him a happy birthday from me.  A true professional that has been doing this for longer than I have been playing music.  I love sitting and listening to the stories when Sniper and Mike get going about the old days.  A guy that has seen it all and lived to blow it up.  You can expect some special things this summer from Mike and the rest of our crew.  HAPPY BIRTHDAY BUDDY.

This Friday, Jan. 24th we are back at The 21st Saloon.  Our sponsor for the week is Victory Riding Academy.  We are doing a benefit for this charitable organization that helps firefighters, police officers, and veterans get back in the saddle.  There will be prizes provided by Victory Riding Academy as well as a barrel race with some stick ponies out on the dance floor.  Your host DJ House will be calling the play-by-play action.  This is an amazig organization and we are very excited to help out those people that do so much for our local heroes.  Help us spread the word and let's pack the house.  Saturday don't forget to tune into my radio show HAIR IN THE AIR on The Big O 101.9 FM from 8 PM to 10 PM.  

KEEP THE FAITH

ALWAYS LOUD 
FOREVER PROUD

ROCK N ROLL FOREVER

SPADE

No comments:

Post a Comment