The Official Blog Of The Glam Slam Big Haired Bad Boys Out Of Omaha, NE, 3D In Your Face

Monday, February 4, 2013

A Holy Experience

Hello everyone.  It is that time of the week again.  Welcome to another edition of HAIR IN THE AIR, The Official Blog of 3D In Your Face.  Well you have done it.  You wild and crazy heavy metal-loving Rock N Roll stars proved me right, and you blew my expectations out of the water.  Four weeks in a row you have supported our residency at The 21st Saloon, and proved why you are the greatest fans in the world.  Last Friday night the joint was packed and we can't thank you enough.  Now is when the fun begins.  I have a great line-up of Friday Night Sponsors all the way into March and April.  I will get to that soon enough.  Keep spreading the word about The 21st Saloon and 3D In Your Face.  You people are what keep us going every week.  We are gaining momentum here and we need to keep it up to get us to the summer tour season.  A special big thank you to our sponsor Jone-Z Party Bus.  They have agreed to supply us with a limo ride to the Omaha Entertainment Award Ceremony on Feb 17th.   Check them out.
This week I decided to write about an easy topic but one that is still near and dear to me.  Through my travels I have had the great opportunity to pick up many hobbies, that not only pass the time but keep my mind inspired while on the road.  None of these hobbies is more important than my passion for record collecting.  That's right I have been a vinyl record junkie for quite some time now.  But don't get me wrong, I'm not one of those snoody record collectors that only buy mint first editions.  Hell no!  I want ever Rock N Roll record I can find.  It doesn't matter if it is scratched, warped, or beat up.  It doesn't matter if I have doubles or triples of the same record.  I love them all and I love the story they tell.  Not only the story the record itself tells you but the story about acquiring said record.  My first experience with vinyl as a medium of Rock N Roll was back in Fremont, NE, I was 15 and I ran into an old hippie who needed some cash and wanted to get ride of his collection.  I went to his house and in his basement he had one of those record shelves with thousands of vinyl he had been collecting since the 60s.  I was shocked to say the least.  The magnitude of music and art he had in his basement literally numbed me.  Of course I only bought a couple records.  Looking back I wish I had spent sometime going his collection.  But you always remember your first record.  It's not like buying CDs or purchasing music online.  Record buy is a holy experience.  My first vinyl record was KISS Rock N Roll Over.  How do I remember this you ask?  Well because I have 6 copies of the record in various stages of decay.  You always hear that vinyl sounds better than digital music but you can't really take that into appreciation until you put the disc on the turn table, plug your head phones in, lay the needle down, and crank the player as loud as it will go.  Like I said vinyl has become a holy experience.  It changes you.  You become aware.

Ultimately your goal is to get your own music pressed on to vinyl.  I know many bands have done this over the years and trust me it is expensive but it is well worth the time and effort.  You become attached to the band.  You not only have to pay a little more of your money for the music itself but you have to take care of the record and the sleeve.  Plus you can only listen to this record in the privacy of your own home. You begin to appreciate it more.  It becomes a part of you.  Trust me I have come close to having my own music on vinyl but close didn't cut it.  But I am not discouraged.  No way.  Mark my words, one day I will have my music pressed into a vinyl record.  I will have my artwork on display.  I will have the opportunity to invite people into my heart and mind.  Do you remember your first vinyl record?  Do you have some amazing stories about purchasing this lost format of Rock N Roll?  I know everyone has stories and I want to hear them.  Take me on a trip. I could go on for hours about record stores in wild towns, you never really know if the vinyl will make it back home safe but I have never lost one.  My goal is to hopefully someday have a record collection like that old Fremont hippie.  I want to proudly display my stories for the world to see. Hey, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards met on a train in London because Mick was holding some Chuck Berry records.  The Rolling Stones started because an addiction to buying records.
Now for the good stuff.  We have an amazing sponsor for you this Friday, Feb 8th.  Located in the heart of Benson, NE is a small antique shop Benson Bazaare.  They have agreed to come out to the 21st Saloon this Friday and bring with them some very unique items.  Leather jackets, bullet belts, VINYL UPON VINYL, and much much more.  These people are true fans of antiques and they will be selling these items at our show.  We know your love for leather and Rock N Roll records so we are bringing them to you at The 21st Saloon.  So bring some extra cash and get there early (don't forget I am there all day).  Benson Bazaare is located at 6013 Maple St. if you feel like stopping in before or after the show.  They have tons of great merchandise all for sale.  Also go to Jone-Z Party Bus and check them out.  They will be sponsoring us through the month of February.  If you need a ride and want to look like a damn Rock N Roll angel sent from above, go check out Jone-Z Party Bus.

Until next time

ALWAYS LOUD
FOREVER PROUD
HAIR IN THE AIR

SPADE

4 comments:

  1. Well Sam with your enthusiasm, musicianship, unconditional love and blogging, I'm sure most would agree we are already in your heart and mind as we continue to enjoy your talents week after week!

    Tammy Tomasello

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Tammy. You have always been there for me when I need a good picking up. I am very proud to know you. Thank you again.

    Sam 'Spade'

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember sitting down as a boy staring at the inside of Kiss Alive and Alive II album covers. I probably did this for hours. Albums, Casettes and even CD's personalize a band with their fans because they can look and read about the band on the Album etc. There aren't to many bands out there that I could tell you the name of all the members in the band anymore. Back in the day band members were all popular in a 80's hairmetal band because of the artwork and stories on the albums. I miss those days.

    ReplyDelete