The Official Blog Of The Glam Slam Big Haired Bad Boys Out Of Omaha, NE, 3D In Your Face

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

How Do You Celebrate A Lead Singers Birthday?

Hello everybody and welcome to HAIR IN THE AIR, The Official Blog of 3D In Your Face.  I can't believe I am saying this but two weeks in a row.  How about that?  I realize I love you guys to much and I need to release some of this pent up mental steam.  This is another big week for the boys and I, as if any of the weeks aren't crazy enough.  This Friday, Dec. 11th we are celebrating our lead singer Alan "Hot Rod" King's birthday live, loud, and on fire at The 21st Saloon.  This party every year is quite the exquisite blow out.  What can I say about throwing this party?  Mix birthday cake, rock n roll, and tight pants together and well it makes for one hell of an evening.  For many of you that read last weeks blog we said goodbye to Mark "Storm" Mefford on the skins.  Now for a Hair In The Air exclusive I feel comfortable enough announcing that we have a new man on drums.  No stranger to the Omaha music community, Mr. John "The Hammer" Lovings has taken over full time drumming responsibilities.  John was a very natural fit and step up to the plate and knocked it out of the park.   We are excited for this new chapter in the band's career and we hope the 3D In Your Face Army welcomes him in as one of their own.  Again very special thanks to Dax for filling in and helping us through this rough patch.  Back to the weekend, this Saturday we are taking the night off to celebrate and our good friends at 101.9 The Keg have been kind enough to throw us a party of their own that features 38 Special and Lita Ford.  If I was a betting man I would say that a few of us will be in attendance at this show.  Come up and say hi.

I always find it hard to do a birthday blog and after all these years I don't want to repeat myself with gushy sentiments about how cool Alan is or how long we have been touring together.  So for this birthday blog I wanted to do something a bit different.  When I first started with the band ten years ago I was a shadow of the Sam Spade you all know now.  I think I was wearing shorts, a KISS t-shirt, very little makeup, and I thought it would be very punk rock to spray red streaks into my hair.  Under Alan's influence and training over the years I transitioned into my own special blend of glam, punk, metal, and dirty filthy rock n roll.  I could always bounce ideas off of him in an attempt to take my performance and look to the next level.  I think probably the most amazing aspect of our relationship is that I was never shunned or criticized for bringing an idea to the table.  It has always been a free flowing creative organization.  If I ever had doubts that I was going to far or being to extreme, Alan was always there to push my limits as a musician and showman.  From the look to the sound everything was amplified and I think we both kind of fed off the energy.

I never take for granted all experience and wisdom Alan has imparted on me over the years.  I think this may be the best gift of all.  I certainly never would have started singing on my own without his encouragement and leadership.  For that I am eternally grateful.  I want to wish a very happy birthday to one of my best friends.  Alan has been our leader, the founding member, and the cornerstone of 3D In Your Face.  The goals we have achieved have been together and I couldn't think of a better guy I would like by my side through all of this.  When we travel, most of you don't realize that Alan drives the bus after every show.  We are either headed back to Omaha or to the next town.  I always think of it as my duty and privilege to stay awake and keep him company on those long stretches of Nebraska highway.  We chat, drink coffee, and talk about life as the hours go by.  Those are some of my fondest memories.  Thanks for all the great years in this crazy Rock N Roll lifestyle.  I hope we have many more together.

ALWAYS LOUD
FOREVER PROUD

Sam Spade

1 comment: