The Official Blog Of The Glam Slam Big Haired Bad Boys Out Of Omaha, NE, 3D In Your Face

Tuesday, February 25, 2014

What's That Joke About The Girl And The Two Fingers? The Final Interview With Hot Rod.

All right you metal maniacs.  I knew you couldn't get enough.  Welcome to HAIR IN THE AIR, The Official Blog of 3D In Your Face.  This is the final week of the "Boys Behind The Hair" series hosted by our special guest blogger Jim Kaufman.  Last but not least is a man that needs no introduction.  I have been traveling around the country with this man for the last 9 years.  Jim holds no punches during this interview with Alan 'Hot Rod' King, the man behind this whole operation.  Before we get into the interview, I need to fill you in on a few things.  3D In Your Face is back this week Friday, Feb. 28th at The 21st Saloon for our spring tour launch.  If you missed the show last week then you missed one hell of a party.  Over 150 moving lights, 4 lasers, new songs, new sets, and we even broke our attendance record at The 21st Saloon.  Come and check this show out.  On Saturday March 1st, I will be doing a special interview with Psychotic Reaction Radio out of East Coast around 6:30 PM CST.  Listen live here.  Also my radio show HAIR IN THE AIR hits the airwaves at 8PM CST on The Big O 101.9 FM.  Lots of hair this weekend.  Prepare your FACES TO BE ROCKED OFF.  

ROCK N ROLL FOREVER 


ALWAYS LOUD

FOREVER PROUD

SPADE


Hello again everyone tonight we are sitting down with The One And Only Hotrod!!!! One of the greatest Rock singers that I have ever seen in person. Before we start Hotrod, I have to say that I've enjoyed the last four weeks and getting to know more about you guys, the four guys that make up the Nations Number One 80's Tribute Band "3D In Your Face"!! I've never met a group of guys that are so much fun to be around, or a band that is so Professional in every way. It's groups like 3D In Your Face that deserve only the best in a career of music. We know now that your personal lives are put on halt, so that you can do what you love the most, and thats to Rock!!!! We are very blessed to have such a great group like 3D In Your Face right here in Nebraska!!! Hotrod, what a pleasure it is to do an interview with you. So let the curtain drop and lets get to it shall we!




Give us a little insight to your childhood and the people in your personal life that inspired you, tell us about the various groups that you have been in during your career?

First of all, thank you for the kind words about myself and the band!
I was born in Tucson, AR.  My dad was in the Air Force so we moved every 4 years up untill 7th grade.  So up until then I was inspired by my Dad who played the Organ and my Grandma who could play anything on the piano.  After that Mr. Cecil my music teacher and voice trainer at Papillion High school.  Many of the 80's bands inspired me, but the big change for me was when I saw Van Halen on their first tour at the Civic Auditorium in Omaha.  I was front and center with my friends and remember just being in awe at the concert. That was when I knew I was gonna pursue music.
My first band in High school was called Crystal Forest.  We then changed it to Fury.  We played many gigs and only the drummer was old enough to drive.  We even played in bars and had to have a parent at each show to supervise.  Just out of college I toured with Breakout.  I then auditioned for Justin Morgan and toured with them for many years along with 3D In Your Face's own Sniper!  Later I was in Royal Tease in Killeen, TX and then started a band called Castle.  After that joined up with Harder Faster and then Keyboards for Revelation (a Christian rock band with Jet and Animal from 3D In Your Face) Then Jet, Animal, Trigger and I started 3D In Your Face.


Do you have another career outside of 3D In Your Face?

Yes, I own a sound and lighting production company. MacRae Productions.  We do sound and lighting for concerts, corporate events, churches, bands, installations, most anything needing sound and lights.  I also travel around the country programming light systems for new business'.

At what age did you know that you wanted to be a Rock N Roll Singer? 


Not sure about Rock and Roll. I knew I wanted to be in music.  Maybe as a keyboard player, or bass player.  Maybe a pop singer.  I had a high vocal range so I thought maybe Id be a tenor in the Opera......Interestingly my best friend in high school who sang with me back then is now a tenor with the Omaha symphony.


I know White Snake is one of your favorites and I believe Cinderella is a second or third on your list, but Who is your greatest musical influence?

White Snake is at the top but I take influence from many musical genres.

As I have mentioned in the previous 3 interviews, your shows are high energy from start to finish and during this whole time you are belting out some of best vocals that I have ever heard, so tell us how keep your voice in shape for 3 to 4 hour show? Do you take professional voice lessons to keep your voice in shape?

I took lessons when I was young. Taught me how to pace myself and not over sing or strain the vocal cords. I think many years of touring and singing 5 nights a week 4 hours a night also helped me to pace myself vocally. Many of our fans don’t realize how close we push ourselves to the limit. There have been times when I had to drop to one knee because I didn't get enough oxygen and started to black out.

How many  different types of instruments can you play?

Guitar, Bass, Keyboards.

What is the Greatest Album of all time and why?

Van Halen 1. Set a new standard for rock and roll bands.

What's the most bizarre thing to happen while you were performing on stage?

Bizarre....There was this time when I was playing a show in Rapid City South Dakota at Hotel Alexandria. We were sound checking and Rick the drummer said he needed a cigarette. He left to get one. While we where waiting the entire light show fell from the ceiling and crushed the drum kit. Rick said he was never gonna quit smoking after that.

Being in a band you have to make personal sacrifices, what are sacrifices that you have had to make to bring great music to the fans?

Lots of hours of setting up and taking down the show. Every show takes up most of my day.
Always a sacrifice for my personal time.


What Famous Singer would you like to meet or have you met?

David Coverdale, Elvis.. But only one is possible right now.
I have met many. Dave Mathews, David Lee Roth, Jack Blades, Don Dokken, Kip Winger, Sting, Brett Micheals, Kevin Dubro, to name a few.

What do the 80’s mean to you?

 A fun era.


Name 3 things that from the 80’s that you miss.

The way women did their hair and clothes.
Cheap gas.
The music and MTV that was music videos and not reality crap.


How do you feel about today’s music?

Where are the guitar solos????
Most of it is OK. But to repetitive.


Hot Rod, what can you tell us about the making of “Midnight Devils”?  What did you learn from making this new album, and how did you grow from making it?

I enjoyed working with Spade and Sniper. They brought many new ideas to the album. In the previous 3 CDs, we were trying to make it more involved. With Midnight Devils, It is just a straight forward rock record.

What is your fondest 3D In Your Face moment and/or in any part of your music career?

Just last Friday, we started the night with a new Dokken song, Tooth and Nail. Sniper and I played it back in the Justin Morgan days. But last Friday we started it and Iron Mike had the 150 moving lights chasing and I got this overwhelming feeling of this is Sooooo cool.
Running lights for Dave Mathews and having 60,000 people scream when the band walks on stage was pretty cool too.




I want to thank you Hot Rod for taking the time to sit down and do this interview. I have enjoyed doing these interviews and thank you for giving me the opportunity to ask you guys some questions. I have enjoyed getting to know more about you, Spade, Sniper and The Playboy. I know there are a ton of great stories that you guys have and I would like to hear any and all of them. I know I, as well as your entire fan base appreciate everything you do!! I know we didn't touch on this during our interviews, bu I want to mention what these guys do behind the scenes. When the boys of 3DIn Your Face are not Rocking Your Socks Off, they are helping with charities and local fund raisers around Omaha Well Fans I have had a blast with this and I hope you have learned some new things about the Guys of 3D In Your Face over the past 4 weeks too. See You At The Show!!! \m/\m/


Jim Kaufman, 

Founder and CEO of The 3D In Your Face Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment